80% of the success of video content depends on its distribution.
If we had known earlier, we would have spent more time on the distribution strategy and less on the editing
Defining the distribution channels for your video is a step that must be anticipated, because it will probably have an impact on its production: which format to choose? how long? what type of thumbnail?
So many questions to ask yourself to optimize the performance of your video, whether you are evaluating it in terms of number of views, engagement rate or number of leads. Check out the interesting topic tender oglasi.
This article walks through the top 5 video distribution channels and helps you decide which ones you should prioritize to serve your goals.
Follow the leader !
1/ Social networks: a resolutely social video content distribution channel
Every day, in France, 49.6 million Internet users visit at least one social network, ie more than 7 out of 10 French people! 28% of these Internet users have even gone there to find out about a brand.
You have therefore understood the magnitude of the stakes for your company.
Your action must be twofold:
- Editorial : you regularly offer content to your audience, commercial or not.
- Community : you need to interact with your audience to create engagement, the crucial element when talking about social media.
Linkedin also considers as an influencer a user who publishes, comments, adds new connections and exchanges by private message regularly.
However, before throwing yourself body and soul on all the existing networks, ask yourself which ones are consulted by your audience.
On the main lines :
- Facebook for quarantine
- Linkedin for professionals
- TikTok for teens
- Instagram for young professionals
Concentrate first on a channel that you will exploit to the maximum, before embarking on the next one.
People first on social networks
Users on social networks are looking for authenticity and spontaneity, hence the rise of the story format, for example. Your videos must therefore focus on the human as much as possible.
Here are some video format ideas for this distribution channel:
- News and backstage of your company . Your audiences should feel close to your brand. Share with them the underside of your business. For example, if you are creating a new product line, provide an overview by explaining what stage the R&D team is at. Have you just changed premises? Offer a site visit.
- Position statements. Broadcasting informative content is not enough to build a strong relationship with your target. By sharing your points of view, you communicate your identity and your values. For example, communicating about your paternity leave policy is the perfect opportunity to attract potential candidates!
Look at the example of Innocent, who talks about his ephemeral recyclerie and his commitments to recycling:
- Interviews. This type of content is ideal for sharing the testimonials of your employees on their experience of the corporate culture, highlighting the benefits that your customers have derived from your offer, and highlighting the experience of experts.
Look at the example of Decathlon France in which a PE teacher shares his vision of the evolution of the profession:
Useful tips and information . Bring value with videos such as “The 3 tips of the day” or “The 5 mistakes not to make”. It’s even better if the expert stands in front of the camera, à la Youtube.
How to capture attention from the first seconds?
This is the average attention paid by Internet users to a publication on social networks.
Marketers therefore need to create content that is sufficiently:
- concise to get their message across in a very short time
- addictive to entice the viewer to watch till the end.
To ensure your video distribution strategy has the desired effect, follow these tips:
- Prefer short videos of around 10 seconds to 2 minutes to keep your target’s attention until the end
- Liven up your videos with subtitles and captions to facilitate understanding even when the sound is not activated. Some tools like PlayPlay allow you to generate them in one click.
- Choose the correct format . For example, prefer a horizontal or square video on LinkedIn. Find out which video formats are suitable for each network here.
- Use the human. Show your collaborators, an expert, a leader, with whom your audience could identify thanks to the interview format or the video portrait .
2/ YouTube: the preferred video content distribution channel
The world’s #1 video platform, with over 2 billion monthly users, YouTube is an ideal channel to attract new customers to your brand.
The advantage of using Youtube is twofold: the platform is both its own search engine, and holds the favors of Google.
Stories or tutorials to please Internet users
Between inspiration and application, the hearts of Youtube visitors swing.
To seduce them, choose:
- Video tutorials. A large number of Internet users use Youtube for education and training. The tutorial is therefore relevant to detail the functionalities of your product or service.
Check out the example from Eskimoz that explains how to write optimized content:
- Corporate videos that tell stories. Dreaming, vibrating, experiencing emotions. This is what internet users expect. The most viral videos usually have the ones with the best storytelling. It’s up to you to concoct a Spielberg-style scenario for us.
Discover the example of Intermarché and its now recognized L’Amour advertising:
- Video interviews and customer testimonials . Play the social proof card by sharing customer feedback and interviewing experts in your field who act as authorities. The interviews are real nuggets of persuasion!
- A video blog . Anecdotes, discovery behind the scenes of the company, the vlog is an excellent way to bring entertaining content to your target.
How to make captivating YouTube videos?
To ensure an optimal experience for people who watch your Youtube videos, ensure the quality of the content.
For it :
- Identify the right keywords , using tools like SEMrush, Smartkeyword or Ubersuggests and integrate them into the title and description to improve your natural referencing on the platform.
- Invest in the right equipment : a microphone to capture the sound, a camera or a smartphone to capture the image, a tripod to stabilize your lens, lighting to capture the light. Check out our guide to help you choose the right equipment.
- Follow the video format recommended by the platform , to avoid black bands, on the sides: 16:9 (horizontal).
- Integrate calls to action to encourage sharing your video or subscribing to your Youtube channel.
3/ Boost your conversions on your blog and landing pages
If you are looking to improve your natural referencing, be aware that websites containing videos are appreciated by search engines like Google.
Beyond pleasing search engines, video is also appreciated by visitors because it is more dynamic than text content.
Adding a video to a web page improves conversion by 80%.
Logic: more than ⅔ of Internet users consider it important to be able to watch a video explaining how a product or service works.
Videos that add value
In your blog posts, favor videos related to your content, such as a video summary of the article, practical cases, explanations and advice .
In your landing pages, prefer videos such as:
- A demo of your product or service : your prospects better perceive the features, benefits and advantages. And to create a link and bring a human touch, choose a member of your team to carry out the demo.
- A customer testimonial to reassure and convince. The customer testimonial acts as social proof and therefore helps to persuade your prospects of the quality of your service or product.
How to convert on your landing page?
- Prefer a square format so that visitors can view the videos on all devices, computers or mobiles.
- Shorten the video as much as possible, it should only be between 45 and 90 seconds long.
- Embed YouTube videos, if possible, rather than adding your videos directly. Search engines like Google better rank pages that include videos. And YouTube is a search engine on its own!
4/ Email, the intimate distribution channel for video content
31% of Internet users prefer e-mail to communicate with a brand, ahead of social networks. This video distribution channel allows you to enter directly into the intimacy of your target: their mailbox!
There are two types of emails here: inbound emails , which are expected by your audience, and outbound emails , which correspond to prospecting.
Integrate video into your newsletters to engage your targets
By subscribing to your newsletter, your target sends you a strong signal: I want more and your offer interests me ! These are potential customers who want to directly receive your new content and advice and information with higher added value.
Share a link to your explanatory, educational videos and tutorials.
Drive conversion with video in your automated marketing emails
If you send a sequence of automated emails to your potential prospects, you have the choice between several types of videos:
- one of your sales representatives who presents himself in front of the camera,
- a presentation of your company,
- the teaser of an event or webinar you are hosting.
How to convert your audience?
- Embed the word “video” in the subject line. This technique increases the open rate by 19% and the click through rate by 65%.
- Insert a clickable thumbnail of your video : and yes, a video cannot be embedded directly into an email!
5/ Paid online advertising: the most viral video content distribution channel
Linkedin Ads, Facebook Ads, Google Ads… These platforms operate under the banner of paid acquisition. Digital advertising is a complementary channel to the organic one which makes it possible to reach a wider audience, but also a more qualified one.
Also, using the tools and indicators offered by online platforms, you can finely measure your return on investment (ROI) and optimize it.
What platforms are you streaming your videos on?
- The display : here, you go through Google to broadcast your message on the sites of the display network.
- Social advertisements or social ads : this is about artificially pushing your video to your target on social networks.
In both cases, you configure your audience upstream, according to demographic criteria, such as age or position, or behavioral criteria, such as visits to your site.
How to set up a paid campaign that increases your conversion rate?
- Keep in mind that autoplay is not necessarily enabled . For example, a user can disable autoplay on LinkedIn and the video will only play if clicked. Then remember to provide a thumbnail image . To learn all about how to create a video thumbnail that will get clicks, check out PlayPlay’s guide to video thumbnails.
- The intro of your video must be attractive and effective . Indeed, YouTube determines the quality of the video ad based in particular on the intro, because you will only pay for the broadcast if it is viewed for at least 30 seconds. Your ad must, for example, help the viewer to project themselves. To do this, use the “you”, highlight in your content a human that allows the target to identify themselves or use catchy music.
- Speak in front of the camera and tell a story to capture your target’s attention. Here is Monday’s example:
Social networks, Youtube, website, e-mail and advertisements are the five most effective distribution channels for your videos. To choose the right one, simply ask yourself where your audience will be most engaged… and test!