Choosing the name of our future baby is not easy. For this reason, many parents search the Internet for names for boys or girls and their meaning. In this sense, León is one of the names for boys that parents usually like the most, since it is a beautiful and very strong name. If you are also thinking of putting your son León, don’t miss this article from our site, where we will explain the meaning of the name León, as well as its origin, personality, saints, popularity and other information of interest. Leon is a boy’s name.
What does Leon mean?
The male name Leon literally means ” strong, fierce and brave man “, and refers to the strength of the animal with the same name.
Origin of the name Leon
The male name Leon comes from the Latin “leo-onis”, which in turn comes from the ancient Greek “λέων”, a term that refers to the lion animal. It is believed that the name Leon comes from Roman Christian families, which spread the name thanks to the popularity of various martyrs named Leon.
Diminutives and variations of the name León
Among the best known diminutives of León, we find:
The most popular variants of the name Leon are:
The name Leon in other languages
- Lion in French: Léon
- Lion in English: Leo
- Leon in Italian: Leone
- Lion in Russian: Lev
Personality of the name Leon
People called León usually have a very marked and strong character. They are also very protective people with their family and those they love. The León are very close to their relatives, so they generally prefer to stay at home than go out partying. Still, they enjoy making new friends .
In love, men named Leo are very sentimental and affectionate . They are very committed and, when a Lion falls in love, he gives everything for his partner. In the workplace, they are normally very hard-working and fighters, so if he feels comfortable in the company and has set goals, he will do everything possible to achieve them.
Celebrities with the name Leon
- Leon Trotsky : He was a politician and leader of the Russian Revolution of Jewish origin. He was also the creator of the Red Army and was awarded the Order of the Red Banner.
- León Felipe – 19th-20th century Spanish poet who became one of the greatest Spanish-language poets in the world. He is one of the poets belonging to the Generation of 27.
- Leo Tolstoy : famous Russian writer of the 19th century, considered one of the most important authors in the world and known for works such as Anna Karenina , The Death of Ivan Ilyich or The Snowstorm .
- León Larregui : Mexican singer and songwriter. He has recorded two solo albums and has performed as a vocalist in the Mexican group Zoé.
Day of the Saint of Leon
León is one of the names that has more days of the Saint. Normally the saints of León are celebrated on November 10 for Saint Leo the Great, although they can also be celebrated on the following dates:
- February 20 (Bishop Saint Leo)
- March 1 (Martyr Saint Leo)
- March 14 (Bishop Saint Leo)
- April 19 (Pope Saint Leo IX)
- April 22 (Bishop Saint Leo)
- June 12 (Pope Saint Leo III)
- June 28 (Pope Saint Leo II)
- June 30 (Martyr Saint Leo)
- July 3 (Pope Saint Leo II)
- July 12 (Abbot Saint Leo)
- July 17 (Pope Saint Leo IV)
- July 18 (Saint Leo priest Ignace Mangin)
- August 18 (Martyr Saint Leo)
- October 4 (Martyr Saint Leo)
- October 10 (Martyr Saint Leo)
- December 7 (Martyr Saint Leo)
Numerology of the name Leon
According to numerology, the number associated with the name Leo is 4.
Popularity of the first name Leon
According to data provided by the National Institute of Statistics, in Spain there are a total of 2,698 men named León with an average age of 39.7 years . As we can see on the map, the provinces with the largest number of people called León in Spain are:
- Real city