Learn how to prepare three simple recipes with hummus and learn about all the health benefits due to its richness in protein, minerals and other elements.
Hummus is a priori exotic food, although it is quite integrated into Spanish cuisine and recipes with hummus are being prepared in more and more homes.
It is an easy dish to prepare, with many health benefits and, in addition, it is a perfect appetizer or companion.
It is usually eaten with pita bread, although if you are looking for something lighter you can use some crudités. They are some raw vegetables carefully cut, such as carrots, celery, red and green pepper, or cucumber, among others.
This recipe of Arab origin is mainly made up of chickpea puree , a food with many properties, which makes it a very complete dish. The texture of the cream offers the possibility of combining it with other ingredients, giving rise to a very varied recipe book. Check out more interesting articles on our site.
WHAT IS HUMMUS AND ITS BENEFITS
The word hummus means chickpea . This dish of Arab origin, typical of the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East, is a cream made up of cooked chickpea puree, lemon juice and olive oil .
Hummus recipes also include tahini, a sesame-based paste (of which only a teaspoon is used in each recipe, and which keeps very well in the fridge, so you can prepare a jar and have it on hand in the refrigerator, if you are going to make this recipe relatively often).
Depending on the region, it can be accompanied by other ingredients such as garlic or paprika. You can even make ‘pink hummus’ by adding beets.
Due to its high protein level and how easy it is to assimilate by our body, it is a recommended dish for athletes and vegetarians. Its high percentage of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus or potassium, as well as vitamin B and other elements, help combat stress and eliminate uric acid .
Hummus recipes are also beneficial for pregnant women and for the development of the fetus, due to the presence of folic acid .
Its low fat content facilitates the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, since it helps reduce cholesterol . It also has high amounts of carbohydrates and fiber, helping the body to eliminate toxins.
- Lemon juice
- Frozen water
- Let the chickpeas soak the night before. The correct measure is one measure of chickpeas per two of water.
- When we go to prepare the hummus, we drain the chickpeas and pour them into a pot over high heat with the bicarbonate without stopping stirring.
- We add 1.5 liters of water, eliminating the foam and remains of chickpeas and skins that float. We finish cooking them in a time between 30 and 40 minutes. Check that they are at their most tender point by pressing them.
- Drain the chickpeas and grind, obtaining a homogeneous paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue blending adding ice water. The end result is a smooth, creamy dough.
- Let the hummus rest, covering it with plastic for at least half an hour before serving.
Preparation time: 90 minutes (preparation and rest)
RECIPES WITH HUMMUS: PEPPERS AND OLIVES
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (sesame puree)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A pinch of cumin powder
- A can of bell peppers
- Chop the peppers and olives and put them in the blender jar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients together with a little of the broth from the cooking of the chickpeas.
- Blend until the texture is homogeneous.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
HUMMUS WITH DRIED TOMATOES
- 400 grams of cooked chickpeas
- 100 grams of dried tomatoes
- Tahini (2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- As in all recipes with hummus, the first thing is to cook the chickpeas.
- Once cooked, put them in the blender glass and add a little cooking broth.
- Add the dried tomatoes, tahini, garlic, parsley (you can substitute coriander), cumin, paprika, black pepper, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Blend until you get the texture you are looking for.
- Season with a little raw olive oil and let stand before serving.
Preparation time: 90 minutes